[guide.chat] Forwarded Email: Guide Dog Stories.

  • From: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 18:16:53 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: M BOWKER -
 Address: bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent On: 02/03/2009 15:15
Sent To: Guide Chat - Email Address: guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Guide Dog Stories.

Hi All,
In 1985 I joined the Appeals Committee in Manchester to help raise money for
the Guide dogs. We went to all kinds of events, pubs, schools to give talks.
One of the best places was outside Marks and Spencer's. Put us outside there
with six dogs and we were shore of about five thousand pounds per day.

I would position myself at the main entrance and shake my tin and the money
came rolling in. But the storey  is about Edwin, my first guide dog. He was a
lab/retriever cross and weighed 75 pounds. When he stood or sat down his head
was about  the right level with kiddies in push chairs. He could lick an ice
cream top without anyone noticing till it was to late. He would sit there
looking all inercent. What gave him away was the ice cream left round his lips.
He also had a bad habit of collecting teddy bears out of push chairs as they
went passed. I would find this out when some one would ask me why I had two or
three teddy bears round my feet. Also he had a bad habit of going into a shop
and while I was getting served he would get mars bars or kit kats of the low
trays in front of the counter. The naughty dog always got two of each. One for
him and one for me. These dogs are so cleaver they can do things without you
knowing.

Malcolm from Hyde. Cheshire. England.
Skype name. malcolmbo1