[guide.chat] Family Tree, Genealogy

  • From: "Vanessa Brueford" <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Forum Friends" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:58:28 -0000

Family Tree, Genealogy

1 Go to Guide Main Menu and press option 3, then option 1 for the full web
browser.

2 Type L D S, press the return key.

3 Scroll down using your down arrow key until you hear Family Search, press the
enter key.

4 Scroll down slowly until you hear a text box to type the first name of your
ancestor you are looking for.

5 The next text box is for the surname of your ancestor.

6 There is a text box for the year of birth of your ancestor. This you will
have to fumble about with, I mean go real slow until you find it, just keep
using the down arrow key with patience, apparently I have been told the reason
is there are scroll down boxes and I have not learnt how to do those, if you
know how to, please email me.

7 Once you have filled in the text boxes press enter key.

8 Now you are on the new page with information of your ancestor. Scroll down
with your down arrow key, until you hear the name of your ancestor and press
the enter key.
The list might be or not be the one you are looking for, if it is, the list
will have your ancestors name and birth record, on another name might be
marriage, on another might be census, so keep going down the list for the name
and the birth, marriage, death or census you are looking for.
Remember you can always press the escape button and type back, which will take
you back to the search page or list page, depending on the page you are on.
It is best to remember there are 4 pages, so if you want to go back to previous
page, press the escape button and type back.

The 4 pages are.
1 The search page with text boxes.
2 The list of names with dates, birth, death, marriage, census.
3 The information like name, occupation etc.
4 This page is only if you are on the census name, I will tell you more of this
page in the next sentences under example.

Example
This is what I did.
1 Guide Main Menu.
2 Press option 3.
3 Press option 1.
4 Type L D S and press the enter key.
5 Scroll down with down arrow key to the word family search, press the enter
key.
6 Scroll down with the down arrow key to the text boxes and fill in the name,
surname and date of birth, press the enter key.
7 Scroll down to my ancestors name with census, press the enter key.
8 Use the arrow key to find the word household.
This is the page number 4, with your ancestor and all the family members living
in the same house.
You can use your arrow key, and once hearing the family members name, you press
the enter key, this will give you the information of that person.

When you are on each individual page, you can press the escape button and type
print, press enter and you will have the information of your ancestor on paper.
I put the paper in a plastic poly pocket and voice label it, or you could
braille them, then I can scan the paper and let Guide read it.

This is a good project as you can show your family what you have done, and they
will say how did you do that, and you will say, by magic or mmm what will you
say?

Ask your family to add the photographs you have, or if they can scan them onto
your computer and title the scanned photograph, with the name and date of the
photograph into Guide, so you can find them easily, you cannot see the
photograph, but at least you will know which one is which, in little folders.
Example a folder called Jane, and the photos are of Jane growing up, Jane 3
years old at the seaside 1999.

How did I do all the above.
I used the voice memo on my parrot.
I spoke each step I did in the memo, not all at one go, in about a hundred
sentenced stages.
Now I have to delete my memos, to make room for things to do.

The best of luck in your ancestry.

I think I wrote the above as best I could.

P S I have more web sites for you, but that's another day, as this email took
me forever to write.

Note
When you have a web site you like, press the escape key and type add fav, this
will be saved. To get the web site again type favs.

Vanessa