[gtk-server] Re: Using BASH with gtk-server-1.3

  • From: Peter van Eerten <administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gtk-server@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:14:35 +0200

Hi,

Wel, there is no such thing as a 2-way pipe in BASH, which is very unfortunate.
Not even in the latest version of BASH 3.0.

The way to use named pipes with BASH, is starting the GTK-server within your
BASH script with 2 arguments: 1) the argument 'fifo' to put the GTK-server into
named pipe mode, and 2) the actual filename which will be used as the named
pipe.

Also it is recommended to use the latest version of the GTK-server, since the
1.x series cannot handle all float arguments in GTK calls, and cannot use more
than 8 arguments in a GTK call. The 2.x series do not have these limitations.

Best regards
Peter

--
http://www.gtk-server.org