[gtk-server] Re: I can't get v1.2.2 to work

  • From: Peter van Eerten <turtle@xxxxxx>
  • To: gtk-server@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:58:08 +0100

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your interest in my humble project.

You say you cannot get ANYTHING to work? Hm! That sounds bad! Ok lets
concentrate on the AWK example, which you can find in the source package
- the "demo-stdin.awk".

1) Make sure you have installed the GTK libraries. By default, the
gtk-server.tar.gz package comes with a configfile for GTK2. With a
default install you can find the configfile in /usr/local/etc. Make sure
that the option GTK_LIB_NAME points to a shared object which actually
exists. Me using Slackware 10, the GTK2 library resides in /usr/lib and
is called "libgtk-x11-2.0.so".

2) Also make sure your environment variables are set correctly (see the
FAQ at my website).

3) If you do not have GTK2, you can also use GTK1 instead. Configure the
GTK_LIB_NAME option accordingly.

4) Indeed, enable the logging. The logfile should look similar to this:

SCRIPT: gtk_init(NULL, NULL)
SERVER: ok
SCRIPT: gtk_window_new(0)
SERVER: 135050648
SCRIPT: gtk_window_set_title (135050648, This is a title)
SERVER: ok
SCRIPT: gtk_window_set_default_size (135050648, 100, 100)
SERVER: ok
SCRIPT: gtk_window_set_position (135050648, 1 )
SERVER: ok
SCRIPT: gtk_table_new(30, 30, 1 )
SERVER: 135072880
SCRIPT: gtk_container_add (135050648,135072880)
SERVER: ok
....and so on....

If you logfile stops at "gtk_window_new" it seems to me that GTK has
problems on your machine allocating some memory. Please try to run a
'normal' GTK program like AbiWord, Gaim, Gnumeric or something like that.

Hope this helps,

Peter