[gtk-server] Re: Dia with gtk-server

  • From: Jim Bailey <sleepydgym@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gtk-server@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 05:26:30 -0700 (PDT)

I was under the impression that copying dia and gtk
from one machine to another was very simple, I don't
think there are any registry settings to mess around
with if you just put all the DLLs in the right places.

I'm sure that last time I distributed a Windows GTK
application I just supplied a directory tree in a
single zip file - once unzipped the executable just

Sadly Windows is lacking in the remote application
department (without spending lots of money), so you
are pretty much stuck with getting local installs

This is all completely unrelated to gtk-server, dia
uses gtk directly and would have to be completely
rewritten to use gtk-server, which would be pointless
as it still wouldn't do what you wanted - it would
merely run more slowly.

You could use xdm on a unix server, and just run X
servers on your Windows desktops. I think there is
even an X server written in Java so you could pretty
much log into a unix session from a browser and run
dia within that. This would take a fair bit of unix
know how, and require all your users to have unix
accounts, and would leave all their drawings saved on
the server with no obvious way of getting at them from
their desktops.

Anyway, this is definitely the wrong tree, apart from
the names "GTK" and "server" this project couldn't be
of less relevance to your problem, but good luck with
it anyway.

--- Andreas Weber <weber_gruena@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
> thanks for your answer.
> The way with vnc is not so good, because we want to
> use dia as drawing tool for each user on win32.
> The installation of dia (with gtk) on each machine
> is very expendable for administration.
> Is there an other way to do this ?
> Best regards,
> Andreas
> Sie sind Spam leid? Yahoo! Mail verfügt über einen
> herausragenden Schutz gegen Massenmails.
> http://mail.yahoo.com

in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.