[gptalk] Re: user config questions

  • From: "Omar Droubi" <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:19:58 -0700

Alan,

For loopback processing you have the concept correct but I think your
order of policy application is incorrect. Remember that last policy
applied wins with conflicting settings so loopback allows us to
reprocess the user settings of a policy linked to a computer object-
last to get these settings to be the final settings applied.

For the loopback Merge mode you have:

When User logs on to the computer in the TS OU they will get Policies
applied in the following order:

1st user policy processing with loopback merge mode and policies
inherited to the OU with the user:

1.     Local computer policy will be applied 1st

2.     Domain Policy "A" will be applied

3.     User Policy "D"

Then the policies inherited and applied to the OU with the computer
object:

4.     Local computer policy (user config section)

5.     Domain Policy "A" (user config section)

6.     TS OU Policy "E" (user config section)

So last applied policy settings will be the final setting if there are
any conflicting settings-and these will come from the user configuration
settings nodes within policies linked and inherited to the container
that has the computer object within.

Here is a reference article;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260370

Thanks,