[gptalk] trying to deploy Office Compatibility Pack

  • From: "Bobby Benninger" <bobby.benninger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:40:00 -0400

I am starting to really hate this MSI.

Anyway I was having trouble before getting the GPO to apply because of a
USERENV error in the Application Log, I removed Symantec A/V to resolve this
error and now the GPO applies correctly.

Now my problem is that even though the GPO applied and "Office Compatibility
Pack" shows in add/remove programs, whenever I open a DOCX file I get
prompted to do download the Compatibility Pack from Microsoft b/c its not

I have read that when you do an assigned software install it doesn't
actually install the app, just preps it to install the first time you use
it. Could this be where things are getting caught up, b/c I am not "using
it" first correctly?

Let me know what info you need to help troubleshoot. Thanks so much for any

 - Bob