[gptalk] Re: restrict internet access for several users

  • From: "Maugris Beauchamps" <rmgmaug38xq@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:17:35 -0700

It is possible to use the setting "bypass proxy server for local
addresses".  There is also a second item where you can list sites
deemed to be part of the intranet,  This is essentially the "Proxy
Override" value under the key:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
By using that you can create a white list of sites.  Using GP to set
this list limits the length of the whitelist you can thus provide.  To
work around this, I keep a list in a text file, and apply it in a
login script.  I use GP to turn off the connections tab so users can't
set it back.  To date I've not noticed anyone using a rogue browser,
but I'll look to see tomorrow.

--BM

On 3/19/07, Tom Strader <tstrader@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Darren,

What if the users need access to specific Internet sites? If you set a dummy
Proxy server, it inhibits all traffic, correct?