[gptalk] Re: restrict internet access for several users

  • From: "James F. Prudente" <jprudente@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:25:12 -0400

The big problem with the dummy proxy server solution is that it can be
bypassed by any user with access to an alternate browser. There are even
some browsers that run off jump drives with no installation, so it is
extremely difficult to make this work consistently.

In a K-12 environment, I would strongly suggest looking into some sort
of proper content filtering if you don't already have. We run Websense
and it will let you lock things down as granularly as you want. Great
product and does exactly what it's supposed to. It's not cheap but I am
under the impression a K-12 school has a legal obligation to at least
attempt to filter inappropriate content so there's solid justification
for it.

James Prudente

Network & Systems Coordinator

Islip Public Schools