[gptalk] Re: remote password policy retrieval?

  • From: SCOTT KLASSEN <klas9574@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:22:54 -0500

If you google around a bit, you can also find a few PSExec GUI's floating
around.

Scott Klassen

Subject: [gptalk] Re: remote password policy retrieval?Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008
15:31:51 -0500From: Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It’s actually very simple. The usage info, download link, and a few examples
are located here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx

FYI: You don’t need to copy PsExec to the remote system.

Jamie Nelson | Systems Engineer | Systems Support, Information Technology | I N
T E G R I S Health | Phone 405.552.0903 | Fax 405.553.5687 |
http://www.integrisok.com

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Deepak J. MathewSent: Monday, March 24, 2008 2:46 PMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: remote password policy retrieval?

Thanks!  do you have a tutorial on PsExec and doing this?  I’m not familiar
with PsExec.

Deepak J. Mathew
Systems Manager - Administrative Systems
Rice University

(t) 713-348-4328

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Nelson, Jamie RSent: Monday, March 24, 2008 9:36 AMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: remote password policy retrieval?

PsExec may come in handy here to pipe the output of “net accounts” to a text
file.

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Darren Mar-EliaSent: Monday, March 24, 2008 9:31 AMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: remote password policy retrieval?

From a WMI perspective, there is unfortunately no one reliable place to get
this. Win32_NetworkLoginProfile will return Password Age, Bad Password Count
and Password Expiration time for a given user logged into a system.
Win32_UserAccount holds some of this info for a local user account. You would
think RSOP would hold this on the local system but alas, it is not very
reliable on returning this but in fact its not if you are trying to query the
remote machine’s RSOP namespace (root\RSOP). I would say that the MOST reliable
way to get it is to use the LSA* Win32 APIs to query these values directly from
the SAM on that system, but alas,  I haven’t used them specifically and don’t
have a lot of information for you on doing this.

If you can run a remote shell on a system, you can simply type ‘Net Accounts’
to get the local effective password policy.
Darren

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Deepak J. MathewSent: Monday, March 24, 2008 6:47 AMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] remote password policy retrieval?

I’m looking for a way to remotely obtain the password policies of a group of
servers that are not part of a domain.  I was looking to see if there was a
WMIobject I can work with for powershell.  Any ideas?

Deepak J. Mathew
Systems Manager - Administrative Systems
Rice University

(t) 713-348-4328

protection under state and federal law. This information is intended to be for
the use of the individual named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of
this information is prohibited and may be punishable by law. If you have
received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us immediately by
electronic mail (reply).