[gptalk] Re: redeploy assigned software application to selected computers only

  • From: "Matt Diglio" <matt.diglio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:16:11 -0700

Generator Microsoft Word 11 (filtered medium) Thank you very much for your
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\History ?

I just want to verify before I get delete happy

Thanks

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Delaney, Doug Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 10:12 AM To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [gptalk] Re: redeploy assigned software
application to selected computers only

yes, I have found that you do need to delete this history key to make it
"always" work.

<!-- Converted from text/rtf format  --> Doug Delaney GM Desktop Engineering
Global Client Engineering GM 1075 W. Entrance Dr., MS 2B, Cube 2130 Auburn
Hills, MI 48326 Lab: 248-365-9187 Tel: 248-754-7917 Pg: 248-870-0306 pager
Mail: Doug.Delaney@xxxxxxx
Note: The information in this email is intended solely for the addressee.
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the
or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited.

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Darren Mar-Elia Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 12:49 PM To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [gptalk] Re: redeploy assigned software
application to selected computers only
Cool. Do you even need to delete the history keys?A gpupdate /force after
deleting the appmgmt key should trigger the appropriate flags for the next
reboot.

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Delaney, Doug Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 9:38 AM To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [gptalk] Re: redeploy assigned software
application to selected computers only
I do this all the time. Deleting the entire history key will force all to
process, but will not negatively affect other settings or applications as long
as only the guid for the application in question is deleted in AppMgmt

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Darren Mar-Elia Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 12:34 PM To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [gptalk] Re: redeploy assigned software
application to selected computers only
Might not want to delete the whole history key, since that will probably cause
all GPOs to re-process, but I like the idea of trying to just delete the
relevant Appmgmt key. That would be interesting to test.

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Delaney, Doug Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 9:32 AM To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [gptalk] Re: redeploy assigned software
application to selected computers only
Matt,

You could also delete the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Group
Policy\AppMgmt\{ApplicationSpecificGUID} and the History key (entirely). This
will re-install the application, but there is no good way to do it from a GPO
itself.

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Darren Mar-Elia Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 12:26 PM To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [gptalk] Re: redeploy assigned software
application to selected computers only
Matt-
That's somewhat difficult. There's no easy way to target a Re-deploy action on
machines that have received GP-based installations. And re-deploy actually only
does a repair operation, not a full re-install. So, the easiest way to do this
might be to do a startup script that uses an msiexec command to perform the
reinstall on the particular computers in question. Msiexec command line options
are described at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314881/en-us

Darren

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Matt Diglio Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 9:11 AM To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [gptalk] redeploy assigned software application
to selected computers only
Hello,

I have a GPO that deploys a few assigned applications through the software
installation feature.
These software packages are assigned to the computer
I would like to force a re-install but only on a select few computers.

How can I do this? Thank you for any help you can give me,

Matt