[gptalk] Re: (no subject)

  • From: wayne mcgowan <waynemcgowan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:21:37 +0000

Thanks Ian,

The script works fine, but not via a logon script in a GPO. GPRESULT shows it
as appling but never places an Icon on the users desktop.But if i ran it
locally it works fine. Tried it as a user and computer policy same result.

Wayne

Subject: [gptalk] Re: (no subject)Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 16:33:46 +0000From:
ian.kibble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Wayne,

We have same situation here where we need a shortcut to a URL on everyone’s
desktop. Rather than using GPO’s we call a vbs file from within everyone’s
login script – hope the below helps:

Replace Yahoo.url with the label you wish to give the icon and replaced the
TargetPath with the required URL

-------------------------------
Set WshSh1 = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
DesktopFolder = WshSh1.SpecialFolders("Desktop")
Set UrlShortcut = WshSh1.CreateShortcut(DesktopFolder + "\\Yahoo.url")
UrlShortcut.TargetPath = "http://www.yahoo.com";
UrlShortcut.Save
-------------------------------

Ian

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of wayne mcgowanSent: 05 November 2008 16:23To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] (no subject)

 Hi, i just want to start off with saying thanks for all the helpful
information this group has provided the last few years. The problem im having:
trying to put a URL on all the users desktop, when they log in ( for example:
www.yahoo.com).In a Windows 2003 domain with 70% XP sp2 and 30% WIN2K clients.
In GP, i add a user config. under admin. templates, desktop then active
desktop. ADD/DELETE items, Enter URL: This didnt work, and it always showed up
under filtering not applied (empty). So i went back and added loopback with
merge, and it says it applied but nothing on the desktop and now all the
computer releated GP's get filtered for the test user. I thought this was an
easy process for a simple procedure, but not working like that. Thanks

Turn email contacts into buddies, and you could win. Enter
 Ltd is registered in England. Registered office at Vintners Place, 68 Upper
Thames Street, London EC4V 3BJ. Company number 3170722. VAT No. 749 324
021.Complinet Inc is a corporation registered in Delaware, USA.”This email has
been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.