[gptalk] Re: net admins, have your laptop users experienced this..

  • From: Steven <usersend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:09:00 -0400

I had this problem with IBM T40's, T60's and so on. I dont know if it was
just IBM laptops since it was an IBM shop thats all we had. I found the
problem came when a user would un-dock (putting the computer to sleep before
the un-dock or after), use another network such as wireless at home and come
back into the office *without restarting.* This seemed to only occur when
the computer was put to sleep. When ever their computer was powered off and
then docked and booted the problem did not occur.

One thing I did was set up profiles in the IBM access connections software
but it seemed to complicated for the users (HR people!!)  to switch between
network profiles. I ended up writing a small script that flushed and
re-registered DNS as well as renewing the IP information and either had the
user run it when they returned to the office or put it in their startup and
required them to log off and back on.

Hope this helps!

On 5/17/07, Darren Mar-Elia <darren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 I've seen this a lot. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer as its
generally up to the network driver to do the right thing before the user
logon processing occurs. One thing to check, are you disabling Fast Logon
Optimization on these (assuming they are XP)?