[gptalk] Re: how to block removable USB storage devices

  • From: "Ananth Rajagopal" <ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:44:52 +0530

Dear Doug,

I created an ADM and imported it to my GPO but nothing is happening, I
updated the GPO but still the settings are not getting applied. Should I
edit the adm setting shown in the MS site? I copied it as it is.

Did I miss anything?

(and do not duplicate anything already in an existing template) :
clarifiaction pls, am I to understand that a new template shud only have the
present adm settings?

You help is much appretiated..I'm new to this so pls explain in detail, if
you have the time...

thanks and regards
anth.

On 10/17/06, Delaney, Doug <doug.delaney@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Or this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555324

*Doug Delaney*** GM Desktop Engineering Global Client Engineering GM 1075 W. Entrance Dr., MS 2B, Cube 2130 Auburn Hills, MI 48326 Lab: 248-365-9187 Tel: 248-754-7917 Pg: 248-870-0306 pager Mail: ***Doug.Delaney@xxxxxxx* <Doug.Delaney@xxxxxxx>

Note: The information in this email is intended solely for the addressee.
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the
taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited.

------------------------------ *From:* Delaney, Doug *Sent:* Tuesday, October 17, 2006 11:03 AM *To:* 'gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx' *Subject:* RE: [gptalk] how to block removable USB storage devices

 You can try this...

1.

   Open Registry Editor.
   2.

   In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key: *
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\StorageDevicePolicies*

 *Note:* This key might not exist. In that case simply create it as a new
key under the parent key.

1.

   Create the following value (DWORD):

 *WriteProtect*

and give it a value of 1.

I would also be possible to create your own adm template, to apply this
via GPO... see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323639 (and do not
duplicate anything already in an existing template, except the section names
of the ADM template, and try to think in reverse - i.e. enable a policy to
turn it off, disable to turn it on, etc.)

*Doug Delaney***
GM Desktop Engineering
Global Client Engineering GM
1075 W. Entrance Dr., MS 2B, Cube 2130
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
Lab: 248-365-9187
Tel: 248-754-7917
Pg: 248-870-0306 pager
Mail: ***Doug.Delaney@xxxxxxx* <Doug.Delaney@xxxxxxx>

Note: The information in this email is intended solely for the addressee.
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the
taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited.

------------------------------ *From:* gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of *Ananth Rajagopal *Sent:* Tuesday, October 17, 2006 6:58 AM *To:* gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx *Subject:* [gptalk] how to block removable USB storage devices

Hi,

This is my first query, won't be the last for sure...

I'm working in an Animation studio, we have a policy here of blocking all
USB drives, along with FDD and CDD.

But we are getting some Pen Tablets, and all are USB devices, so obviously
we will need to allow enable USB ports, is there any way to block users from
connecting their removable drives and copying data using Group Policies?

Kindly advice..in detail :-)

regards
anth