[gptalk] Re: handling remote desktop

  • From: "Cruz, Jerome L" <jerome.l.cruz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:56:10 -0800

Pretty simple.. all Domain Global groups are replicated to all GCs in the
forest. Domain Local groups are replicated only to domain-level DCs. Also,
Domain Local groups allow for individual members accounts (in them) from other
domains, whereas Domain Global groups do not.

An example of impact to GPO Administrators:  There is the built-in Domain
Global Group named Group Policy Creator Owners. As a Domain Global group, it
cannot contain user accounts which reside in a different domain. Effectively,
this means that a GPO Admin in one domain cannot easily create GPOs in a
different domain (same forest) without (a) being in the domain Administrators
group or (b) having a second account in that (or each separate) domain. Our
security policies do not allow simple GPO Administrators either (a) or (b).
Early on, we had to create a Domain Local group and provide that group the same
permissions (as the global group already has) to the ..\System\Policies
container and to the ..\SYSVOL\Policies folder to get around this limitation.

Most of the security group filters for our GPOs are Domain Local as well.

In the interest of passing on knowledge, I offer the following (it's not GPO
'specific' stuff, so, sorry ahead of time-I do hope some find it useful):

Windows Restrictions on Group Membership Based upon Group Type
        Type    Scope   Can Contain Domain Local        Can Contain Domain
Global       Can Contain Universal
                        Distribution Groups     Security Groups Distribution
Groups     Security Groups Distribution Groups     Security Groups
        Domain  Local   Distribution Groups     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes
Yes     Yes
                Security Groups Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes
        Domain Global   Distribution Groups     No      No      Yes     Yes
No      No
                Security Groups No      No      Yes     Yes     No      No
        Universal       Distribution Groups     No      No      Yes     Yes
Yes     Yes
                Security Groups No      No      Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes
        Examples        A Domain Local Security group can contain a Domain
Global Security Group
A Domain Global Security group can NOT contain a Domain Local Security Group

Windows Restrictions on Group Membership Based upon Domain (Users/Computers and
Domain Locals)
        Group Type
Both Distribution and Security Groups   Can Contain Users and Computers from
Can Contain Domain Local Groups from
                The Same Domain A Different Domain      The Same Domain A
Different Domain
        Domain Local Groups     Yes     Yes     Yes     No
        Domain Global Groups    Yes     No      No      No
        Universal Groups        Yes     Yes     No      No
        Examples        A Domain Local Security group can contain Users and
Computers from a different domain
A Domain Global Security group can NOT contain Users and Computers from a
different domain

Windows Restrictions on Group Membership Based upon Domain (Domain Global and
Universal)
        Group Type
Both Distribution and Security Groups   Can Contain Domain Global Groups From
Can Contain Universal Groups From
                The Same Domain A Different Domain      The Same Domain A
Different Domain
        Domain Local Groups     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes
        Domain Global Groups    Yes     No      No      No
        Universal Groups        Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes
        Examples        A Domain Local Security group can contain Universal
groups from a different domain
A Domain Global Security group can NOT contain Universal groups from the same
domain

Windows Security Group Conversion Rules
                Security Groups can be converted to Distribution Groups.
                Distribution Groups can be converted to Security Groups.
                A Domain Local group can be converted to a Universal group only
if it is not already a member of another Domain Local group.
                A Domain Global group can be converted to a Universal group
only if it does not contain any other Domain Global groups.
                A Universal group can be converted to either a Domain Local
Group or a Domain Global Group.

        HINT Let's say that you've created a Domain Global Security group and
fully populated it. Then you realize that you should have
         created it as a Domain Local Security group. First convert it to a
Universal Security group, then convert the Universal Security
         group to a Domain Local Security group.

Jerry Cruz | Group Policies Product Manager | Windows Infrastructure
Architecture | Boeing IT
Office 425-865-6755 | Mobile 425-591-6491