[gptalk] Re: handling remote desktop

  • From: Omar Droubi <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:05:50 -0800

I would recommend that you do not mess with the Allow logon through terminal
services User right assignment.

Instead for Remote desktop- I would be a proponent of your idea of creating a
domain GG and using GPO restricted groups to make the GG a member of the local
remote desktop users group.

If you have a security concern- they you will need to address that by having
multiple domain GG groups and multiple RD GPO policies and segment your
computers with domain computer groups or in separate OUs

As for remote assistance- I would try it out 1st to see how you like it- Almost
every time I tried to deploy remote assistance the performance was so poor that
we scrapped it. Anyway- if you do want to use it- RA is great on terminal
servers- but in a TS you can use TS remote control anyway- but that is a
different subject.

Back to Remote assistance- I would use the Offer remote assistance setting in a
GPO and add a domain GG- just make sure you test it out as there is something I
can quite remember about it- like if you add groups 1,2 & 3 to offer remote
assistance that if you change it to groups 1 & 2 that 3 may remain- but it has
been while and that area of my brain is now archived.

Also- don't forget to also use GPO to enable the RA for solicitation if you
desire that and to enable Remote desktop and then to make the necessary FW
modifications for both the domain and if necessary the standard FW profile (or
more for Vista) to allow for RA and RDP. RDP is easy- Remote Assistance
requires about 3 or 4 custom program and port rules in the FW policy to work.

Omar Droubi
omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
650-726-0300