[gptalk] Re: [gptalk]Adding GPO attribute via script

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 06:34:43 -0700

Ian-

Glad to hear it!

Darren

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Northwood, Ian
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 12:12 AM
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gptalk] Re: [gptalk]Adding GPO attribute via script

Darren,

LOL...how odd that this reply should pop into my Inbox at almost the exact
time that I worked out a fix. Well, kind of...

After who knows how may runs through the script debugger - altering
properties, recrcreating objects and so on - I simply removed the GPOs and
groups I was testing with and ran the script again so that these were
created again from scratch (obviously wioth different GUIDs, etc). After
almost 100 runs (I bet the AD admins love me...), it is no longer any issue.
I now regard the script as fully functional and will release it to my
packagaing colleagues today. At last!

Regards,

Ian

  _____

*       From: "Northwood, Ian" <Ian.Northwood@xxxxxx>
*       To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*       Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 13:06:20 +0100

In intensive testing, the script which I've been working on since November
has
a single remaining issue in that it fails to display 'Settings' in the Group

Policy Management console. I have identified the fix: I add the
'gPCUserExtensionNames' attribute to the GP, with the value
"[{C6DC5466-785A-11D2-84D0-00C04FB169F7}{BACF5C8A-A3C7-11D1-A760-00C04FB9603
F}]",
 refresh the display and we're in business.

The issue is, I can't seem to do this in the script! Each time, I get a
"General access denied error", -2147024891. What's puzzling me is that,
using
the same machine on which the script is running and using the same account,
can add the attribute manually via the console.

Liverpool Victoria Friendly Society Ltd. Registered in England and Wales.
Registered Office: County Gates Bournemouth England, BH1 2NF, No.61 Coll.
Financial Services Authority Register number 110035.

This email (and any attachments):

- is for its intended recipients only and may contain confidential and/or
legally privileged information. If received in error, any use of this email
is
prohibited.
Please delete it (and any copies) and notify us on +44(0)1202 292333, ext.
4044.

-  is believed to be free of any virus or other defect but internet
communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free and we do not

accept any liability for any loss or damage from their receipt or use.
Opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of the Society.

LV= and Liverpool Victoria are trade marks of Liverpool Victoria Friendly
Society Limited and LV= and LV= Liverpool Victoria are trading styles of the

Liverpool Victoria group of companies.
LV= reserves the right to monitor and inspect emails sent to and by its
employees.  To find out more about us please visit: www.lv.com

****

Darren Mar-Elia

CTO & Founder

SDM Software, Inc.

www.sdmsoftware.com <http://www.sdmsoftware.com/>

Secure and configure your Windows desktops accurately every time without
having to learn or install new technology. Find out more about Desktop
Policy Manager at http://www.sdmsoftware.com/desktop_management

To find out more about us please visit: www.lv.com <http://www.lv.com/>