[gptalk] Re: gptalk Digest V2 #89

  • From: "James Kagele" <james.kagele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:31:31 +0200

I read a interesting security article that addressed this issue -- I haven't
tested or know of anyone that uses it but you may want to check it out.

Full Armor's Policy Portal

http://secureitalliance.org/blogs/fullarmor/archive/2006/02/10/622.aspx

On 5/3/07, Ranjan Babu .G <ranjan.ganesh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for info.

Client having   domain environment  and we are doing hardening through GP
.

But 100 servers in DMZ zone ,even though our client want to harden the OS
.

Now i created some scripts to add  / modify the registry value and FS
security. Same time i created INF file to apply through local policy by
visiting each machine.

INF here i have one more question

1.If i add FS security in INF file it will apply in windows 2003 and 2000
environment?. Because i am writing script mainly to  add/change the Registry
value and FS modification.

2.Can i use Scripts /I NF file  to change  registry and FS permission for
2000  SP4 and 2003 SP1 server .

Regards,

Ranjan

------------------------------

From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gptalk] Re: How to Apply Policy for system in workgroup or
standalone
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 08:59:15 񩎘

Hi Ranjan,

Sorry... I don't think I can be a lot of help. As I have said, I haven't
had much experience in a non domain environment and not much script work
either. I tend to do everything in VB6.

As to running Local Policy remotely, I don't think you can. You may need
to open a terminal session on the machine and then run it from there.

If you have scripted the Registry key settings for the machine, you can
try running it from the start up directory (assuming the users have
sufficient authority and you trust them not to delete it), otherwise you
will have to get it to run from Local Group Policy, either by manually
adding it on each machine or scripting up the process.

Be aware that if you do it via a script, any changes will require a reboot
of the machine. If you were using normal Group policy on a domain, and
implemented it via Admin templates you can get it to refresh regularly.

I would question why you don't just make your life a lot simpler by
creating a domain controller and using that rather than a work group. Your
machine maintenance and User maintenance suddenly becomes a lot easier. I
suspect it would be less work than trying to get local policies doing it for
you.

Alan Cuthbertson

Policy Management Software:-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir <
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml>
&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor:-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir <
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml>
&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter(Free)

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir <
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=policyreporter.shtml>
&f=policyreporter.shtml

*     From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*     To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*     Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 22:28:52 񩎘

Hi Ranjan,

It’s a long time since I have worked in a non-domain area, but I suspect
the

answer depends on several things such as:-

*          Do you trust the user to not try and circumvent what you are
doing

*          Do you want to do different things on different machines

*          Can you easily visit each machine

*          How much effort are you willing to put in up front

Probably the easiest way is to write a script that runs from the startup

folder. However, if you want to go beyond just adding registry keys and
setting

security, using Local Group Policy may be the go, but it is rather tedious

manually running Local Group Policy on each machines. You can write code

configure Local Group Policy, but that is a lot of up front work. You
mention

ADM files. They are really a component within Local Group Policy and so
are not

really relevant.

If you are setting security, you may need to run it in the Machine context

rather than the user context. This means that you need to run the script
at

machine start time not logon time. This can be done from Local Group
Policy,

but requires some programming work unless you manually set it up on each

machine.

Hope that helps…

Alan Cuthbertson