[gptalk] Re: gptalk Digest V2 #89

  • From: "Ranjan Babu .G" <ranjan.ganesh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gptalk digest users" <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 12:50:06 +0530

Hi,

Thanks for info.

Client having   domain environment  and we are doing hardening through GP .

But 100 servers in DMZ zone ,even though our client want to harden the OS .

Now i created some scripts to add  / modify the registry value and FS security.
Same time i created INF file to apply through local policy by visiting each
machine.

INF here i have one more question

1.If i add FS security in INF file it will apply in windows 2003 and 2000
environment?. Because i am writing script mainly to  add/change the Registry
value and FS modification.

2.Can i use Scripts /I NF file  to change  registry and FS permission for 2000
SP4 and 2003 SP1 server .

Regards,

Ranjan

------------------------------

From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gptalk] Re: How to Apply Policy for system in workgroup or standalone
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 08:59:15 񩎘

Hi Ranjan,

Sorry... I don't think I can be a lot of help. As I have said, I haven't had
much experience in a non domain environment and not much script work either. I
tend to do everything in VB6.

As to running Local Policy remotely, I don't think you can. You may need to
open a terminal session on the machine and then run it from there.

If you have scripted the Registry key settings for the machine, you can try
running it from the start up directory (assuming the users have sufficient
authority and you trust them not to delete it), otherwise you will have to get
it to run from Local Group Policy, either by manually adding it on each machine
or scripting up the process.

Be aware that if you do it via a script, any changes will require a reboot of
the machine. If you were using normal Group policy on a domain, and implemented
it via Admin templates you can get it to refresh regularly.

I would question why you don't just make your life a lot simpler by creating a
domain controller and using that rather than a work group. Your machine
maintenance and User maintenance suddenly becomes a lot easier. I suspect it
would be less work than trying to get local policies doing it for you.

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software:-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml>
&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor:-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml>
&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter(Free)

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=policyreporter.shtml>
&f=policyreporter.shtml

*     From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*     To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*     Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 22:28:52 񩎘

Hi Ranjan,

It’s a long time since I have worked in a non-domain area, but I suspect the

answer depends on several things such as:-

*          Do you trust the user to not try and circumvent what you are doing

*          Do you want to do different things on different machines

*          Can you easily visit each machine

*          How much effort are you willing to put in up front

Probably the easiest way is to write a script that runs from the startup

folder. However, if you want to go beyond just adding registry keys and setting

security, using Local Group Policy may be the go, but it is rather tedious

manually running Local Group Policy on each machines. You can write code to

configure Local Group Policy, but that is a lot of up front work. You mention

ADM files. They are really a component within Local Group Policy and so are not

really relevant.

If you are setting security, you may need to run it in the Machine context

rather than the user context. This means that you need to run the script at

machine start time not logon time. This can be done from Local Group Policy,

but requires some programming work unless you manually set it up on each

machine.

Hope that helps…

Alan Cuthbertson