[gptalk] Re: gptalk Digest V1 #21

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <Syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 23:18:34 +1000

Mary,

The changes are not as bad as you may think. The new ADM template does not change the settings that are currently applied. All the old registry settings that you currently have applied are retained. The ADM template defines how things appear in the GPO Editor and generally just add additional registry keys that could not be managed earlier.

I am not sure exactly what changed with XP SP2, but I suspect that they were just additional registry keys that are only used in XP SP2. If you applied the new registry keys to an XP SP1 machine, they would be ignored.

Alan Cuthbertson

Policy Management Software:- http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml ADM Template Editor:- http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml Policy Log Reporter(Free) http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=policyreporter.shtml

----- Original Message ----- From: "Collingwood.Mary" <Mary.Collingwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:15:17 -0500
From: "Collingwood.Mary" <Mary.Collingwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,
I have just been informed that our DCs are scheduled to be upgraded to
Windows 2003 service pack 1.  I run the GPMC on a Windows XPsp2 PC.  As
long as I only use an XPsp2 machine to run the GPMC I should not have
any problems, correct? It is only if I run the GPMC from the DC that my
ADM templates would get updated.  I just want to be sure that I don't
have to worry about my current settings getting overwritten.  Thanks for
your help.
Mary Collingwood

------------------------------

From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gptalk] Re: Windows 2003 sp1
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 13:24:39 -0700

Mary-
That is correct. In any case, if some GPOs do get upgraded, the
difference between the 2003, SP1 and XP,SP 2 ADMs are negligible anyway
(see www.gpoguy.com/admdiffs.htm for details).

I have just been informed that our DCs are scheduled to be upgraded to
Windows 2003 service pack 1.  I run the GPMC on a Windows XPsp2 PC.  As
long as I only use an XPsp2 machine to run the GPMC I should not have
any problems, correct? It is only if I run the GPMC from the DC that my
ADM templates would get updated.  I just want to be sure that I don't
have to worry about my current settings getting overwritten.  Thanks for
your help.

Mary Collingwood

End of gptalk Digest V1 #21