[gptalk] Re: editting admx files

  • From: "Omar Droubi" <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:32:22 -0800

If you are supporting Vista and w2k8 you can easily add ADMX files to the
available options simply by copying the file into the central store and make
sure to copy over (and create) the corresponding ADML file to the respective
language subdirectory.

If you are not using a central store you may be able to just add the files on
your vista machine in the policydefinition folders and once you save the GP to
the domain it should be processed correctly on the desired workstations.

I would always recommend editing ADMX/ADML files offline or in a copy of the
file and then replacing in the central store or local folder after you have
tested it in the lab.

As for the GP feature in w2k8- fantastic- except the new preferences extension
is only supported on w2k8 and there will be an update available for vista (may
already be included in the vista RC service pack 1 code) and the other OS's
will get this update later- but I am not sure if that will be a windows update
or a separate download that will need to be installed.

Omar

        From: darren@xxxxxxxxxx
        To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:22:32 -0800

        Hans-

        Have you tried opening an elevated command prompt and do the copy from
there? Elevating Explorer is tricky..

        Darren