[gptalk] Re: auto install

  • From: "Robert Mariani" <rmariani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:57:27 +1000 (EST)

In terms of security the Netlogon directory is pretty wide open - and like
Darren said -
all the MSI's will replicate to your DC's

The way that i manage my GPO
software deployments is like this ( i will use Acrobat 7 Pro as a example)

1.  Create a folder like \\<server>\GPOManagedApps\"Acrobat"
2.  Create the MSI admin install to to the Acrobat folder
3.  Create a
Security group with the computers/users I want to install is package to in the
AD
4.  Remove all (execept admin) security from the Acrobat folder and add
read/execute to the newly created security group
5.  Create a GPO to assign in
the usual fashion although in the security filtering add the security group
just create
above
6.  Link the GPO the required OU and voila! - gpupdate /force (if you
want) and all should be well

hope this give you some pointers...

feel free to correct me if there is a better way!

Rob

On Wed, September 20, 2006 11:36 am, Jim Bangle said:

I am soooooo
excited that you all are saying this. I had my msi&rsquo;s on a share, all
warm, fuzzy,
and secure, but I had the same exact symptom Eric is having. I was told by
another admin
around here someplace that the msi&rsquo;s had to be in Netlogon, and after
simply
putting them in folders under Netlogon and reassigning them&hellip; voila!
Everything
has worked since. BUT, I don&rsquo;t want them where they are! So, now I have
new
motivation to figure out how to create what I want. I thought I was working
with a
system limitation.

Thanks for the
feedback, all. AND, does anyone have any ideas as to why moving my msi&rsquo;s
would
have appeared to have been a solution?

-Jim