[gptalk] Re: always wait for network at computer startup or logon

  • From: "Florian Frommherz" <florian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:11:25 +0200

Howdie!

> in trying to reduce startup/logon times. i'm reviewing a policy that
> has "always wait for network at computer startup or logon" set to
> enabled. in my testing ou, i've disabled it and startup times have
> decreased by around a min. apparently the default setting is disabled,
> but i'd like to hear about people's opinions on this setting? should
> it be on or off.

"Always wait for the network" basically makes XP machines wait for the
network to be fully loaded before going on further and showing the user the
logon screen as a result. With that policy you can make sure that users (and
the machine) have access to the network and DCs at the time they log on.
Policies get applied right-away without having to wait for the background
refresh (some policies don't become "active" if they're applied in
background).

> additionally, in regards to the startup slowness, i notice there seems
> to be a long wait at "applying computer settings". what exactly occurs
> here? i've used policy reporter and it shows that during machine
> policy refresh, establishing the link speed and determining it is a
> fast link takes less than a second, there is then a 20-30 sec delay in
> the log before anything else starts happening, can anyone shed some
> light on this?

How are those machines connected? Is your DNS config on the client healthy?

Cheers,

Florian