[gptalk] Re: ad printer publishing

  • From: "Tony Murray [HIQ]" <Tony.Murray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:57:56 +1300

Hi Graham

To answer your questions.

1. The print server uses DNS SRV records to locate an in-site DC to
publish the print queue.
2. The pruner works by compiling a list of all printQueue objects in AD.
It then works through the list and determines (using DNS) those that are
in-site. It then tries to contact each in-site print server to check the
queue is available.  If it isn't, the pruner removes the printQueue
object from AD.

Print servers in sites with no DCs will be taken care of by DC auto site
coverage.  In other words, there will be a DC (or DCs) responsible for
the site.

The behaviour is slightly strange when the pruner can't find the print
server in DNS.  In this case the pruner simply assumes the server is
in-site and tries to contact the print server to check the print queue
availability.  In other words, it's free-for-all and any DC could
potentially prune the printQueue object.  At least this was the
behaviour in Windows 2000 AD - not sure about 2003.

Cheers
Tony