[gptalk] Re: XP Service Pack 3 Deployment

  • From: "Phillip M. Immordino" <pimmo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:10:35 -0400

You are better off using WSUS rather than GPO's if you have unreliable
networks.  WSUS uses BITS technology to transfer the update in the
background.  Group Policy does not use BITS and thus requires even more
reliable bandwidth.  BITS can be used on something as slow as dialup.
It won't do the install until the entire package is on the machine  and
in the c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.

At Princeton we will be using WSUS to distribute Vista SP1 to around
1200 machines and XP SP3 to around 8000 XP machines.  It will be staged
over various WSUS groups.

Phil Immordino
Princeton University
OIT Support Services