[gptalk] Re: Windows 2003 sp1

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 08:18:44 -0700

The situation with SP2 and SP2 can happen is someone on that SP1 machine
changed the date/timestamps for those .adm files in c:\windows\inf. Since
that is the only test Windows uses to determine if it needs to auto-update a
file in the GPO, then someone who just went into their local ADM files with
notepad and then re-saved the file would be enough to cause that. That's why
its good to use the policy to disable auto-updating of ADMs for all admins
except the ones who need to update ADMs.

From: "Delaney, Doug" <doug.delaney@xxxxxxx>
"There is also a setting to Always use local ADM files for the Group Policy
snap-in in Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | System |
Group Policy that if not configured or disabled, always uses the ADM from
the GPO itself (the template it was created with, and or updated (if the
former setting was not enabled [earlier default behavior]).=20"

I am planning to use the setting you mentioned.

 Thanks for your help.

Mary Collingwood