[gptalk] Where's the Documents Folder on a Roaming Profile Downloading onto a Vista Device?

  • From: "Cruz, Jerome L" <jerome.l.cruz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:12:15 -0700

Has anyone run into the following Roaming Profile behavior? We are 'finally'
testing a Vista image for possible deployment to our customers and the testers
are reporting that, when they roam (log onto) a different Vista device, their
profile comes down correctly, but there is no "Documents" folder created by the
local system.

When I asked them: "What's the behavior when you don't actually have the folder
and you then click on something that attempts to take you there (like Start |
Documents)? There response is: Folder not found error.

So, they create the folder manually and report no further issues. However, that
cannot be the solution for the masses.

We currently have an exclusion for the '...Documents...' folder targeting user
accounts. There is no further Group Policy based "redirection" of the
"Documents" folder...this is because most of the users maintain the use of a
single device and we mainly use roaming profiles to backup their settings for
'flatten and reload' scenarios, 'not' to roam. This was put in place for our
Windows 2000 to Windows XP migration a few years ago.

Anyway, here is the current Group Policy exclusion.

Prevent the following directories from roaming with the profile:

My Documents;
Application Data\Adobe;
Application Data\AutoDesk;
Application Data\Macromedia;
Application Data\Microsoft\MSDAIPP;
Application Data\Microsoft\Clip Organizer;
Application Data\Roxio;
Application Data\Hummingbird;

Thoughts? Ideas?