[gptalk] Re: Website

  • From: Craig Meyer <craigmeyer8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 07:28:34 +0200

Thanks for the comments guys. Firstly funding for ISA 2006 is out of the
question now so i'm looking for something else. Not expensive but that will
work optimally. I will look at the workarounds you gave me. thank you very much

PS: With my SAV Enterprise edition i got Symantec Web Security 3.0 also which
is a proxy server according to the booklet. Have any of you experience in
working with this product and is it gud to implement it as a proxy?

Craig Meyer
"He had no servants - yet they called Him Master, no degrees - yet they called
Him Teacher, no medicine - yet they called Him Healer, no army yet the Kings
feared Him. He won no military battles yet He conquered the world. he commited
no crime yet they crucified Him. He was burried in a tomb yet He lives 2day....”

Subject: [gptalk] Re: WebsiteDate: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:16:17 -0700From:
omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

In order to get their product sold and deployed in networks such as yours- many
proxy vendors can completely disable monitoring- and would require the
reinstallation of the product enable that functionality. So with that said- you
can restrict the traffic without compromising security or having people feel
that big brother is watching. Food for thought.

Talk to you later,

omar

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Michael PietrzakSent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:06 AMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: RE: [gptalk] Re: Website

Omar,

I completely agree with you. A web proxy (ISA 2006) would be an optimal
solution. In my case, I work for a public university in CA and believe it or
not, we cannot implement any kind of web monitoring due to UNION rules. It's
quite frustrating. I was all set to bring in WebSense last year when our union
rep gave it the stop order and sent it up the political chain for review.

Sometimes it's not just budgetary restrictions but policitcal as well. Oh well,
I said, I just block the traffic instead. Crazy as it sounds, that was
acceptable.

Michael

All of these suggestions are good ones but- as the IT administrator you should
present to your manager, and he or she should present to the execs that to
effectively manage web access including restrictions, monitoring and reporting,
a web proxy server should be deployed and all outgoing web requests should be
forwarded through the proxy via network routing or browser proxy settings with
tight outgoing port restrictions controlled at the network gateway.

Using the IE restricted sites, HOSTS files or creating a IPsec policy or a
placeholder bogus DNS zone to solve this political issue is a workaround and
not really a good one.

Restricting web traffic is a political issue and as the IT admin or IT manager-
hand off the responsibility of creating the policy or owning the approved site
list if you can and make the company pay.

Now of course if you are administering public institution or school that is
limited in funding and administrative staff- and you can’t get an educational
discount of a functional feature rich proxy solution- any of the suggested
work-arounds will work.

I have to go and get off my soap box now..

Omar

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Michael PietrzakSent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:21 AMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: RE: [gptalk] Website

Craig,

You can use the IPSec techniques outlined in this walkthrough...

http://www.petri.co.il/block_internet_but_allow_intranet_with_ipsec.htm

to enable you to block certain websites via a group policy. It's VERY easy to
do. We had a problem with users visiting naughty sites and with this technique,
I can effectively block all web access, allow local intranet browsing, allow
only specific sites to be allowed, or finally, what you are looking for, block
individual sites.

Read through it. Again, it's very easy to alter the IPSec rules to block a
single web site.

Alternately, in your DNS servers, I use MS DNS so I can't say this could apply
to you, but you could create a new domain, say myspace.com, and make a bogus
DNS entry for it. That way, when any machine tries to go to myspace.com, it
will not resolve.

Either of those techniques should work great for you.

Michael
SDSU

Hi guys Can i block a website through a GPO?

Craig Meyer "He had no servants - yet they called Him Master, no degrees - yet
they called Him Teacher, no medicine - yet they called Him Healer, no army yet
the Kings feared Him. He won no military battles yet He conquered the world. he
commited no crime yet they crucified Him. He was burried in a tomb yet He lives
2day....”

Download the latest version of Windows Live Messenger NOW! Click here!
Download the latest version of Windows Live Messenger NOW!
http://get.live.com/en-za/messenger/overview