[gptalk] Re: WMI Filter - problem with properties "array of string"

  • From: Sylvain <gpo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:43:45 +0200

Hi,

Sorry to come back soo late ... :-P

The solution I put in production is the one to told me. The WMI filter I put in place is the following :

SELECT * FROM Win32_IP4RouteTable WHERE Name = "x.x.x.x" AND Mask = "255.255.0.0" or Name =
"x.x.x.x" AND Mask = "255.255.0.0"

This filter make me sure that only the right workstation applied the GPO.

Because I also by sure that I have to restricted the user population on the machine, I
put an analytical group where all user are located in the "Security Filtering"
of the GPO.

Once again Thorbjörn, thanks for your help

Regards,
Sylvain

Thorbjörn Sjövold wrote:
Sylvain,

Unfortunately you cannot query on array types with only WQL, and it's "by
design" and you have to use programming logic to access the arrays, which of course
makes them useless as WMI filters, but I've seen a workaround that I've tweaked somewhat,
although I have not tried myself in a live environment, that perhaps can help you out
here. For example if you want to get the subnet 10.1.1.255 you could use the following:

SELECT * FROM Win32_IP4RouteTable WHERE Name LIKE "10.1.1.%" AND Mask =
"255.255.255.255"

The Name property contains the destination, I guess you can use the Destination
property too, and since all computers have their own IP as a destination in the
routing table, this will hit them, using the Mask property will reduce the risk
of hitting a static defined route. Again I have not used it myself, we even
added custom targeting to our own products just to get around problems like
this, but I suppose it could work if you are not to broad in your targeting and
do not have static routes defined on your computers since that could
potentially mess this up... Also there could be other network configs that
could prevent this from working, but my general guess is that it works fine in
most situations.

If it works fine, please ping back here and tell us about it and we'll all learn something new :)
HTH,

Thorbjörn Sjövold
Special Operations Software
www.specopssoft.com
thorbjorn.sjovold a t specopssoft.com
Download our free tool for remote Gpupdate with graphical reporting,
http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/