[gptalk] Vista logon scripts: launchapp.wsf can only be run once per logon, not once per GPO?

  • From: "Mills, Mark" <Mark.Mills@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:31:25 -0500

Does anyone know if you can only have one instance of launchapp.wsf run
at logon?

I'm having difficulty running 2 logon script GPO's simultaneously in
Vista (they each map drives).  Both use launchapp.wsf to elevate
privileges and individually the GPO's run fine, however when I apply
both GPO's in the same OU  the one that runs first will execute, the one
that runs last will execute with the pop up telling you it is scheduling
a job but it does not map drives. I gave each GPO launchapp.wsf file
it's own pop up "echo" message to confirm this.

GPresult shows that both GPO's were applied successfully???

In my tests:

1)       I used both GPO's in the same User OU, and then tried where one
GPO was applied to the user OU and one was applied to the Computer OU in
loopback mode.  Neither situation allowed me to map drives from both
GPO's.  GPUpdate /force was run as well as other normal precautions.

2)       I also tried running launchapp.wsf with 2 different names to
make it look like 2 different apps(each GPO had a different name for
it), but that didn't help either.

My goal:

1)  A "user configuration" based logon script GPO applied to a "User OU"
for the office.  We will call this GPO#1 and it maps drives for the
user.

2)  A second "user configuration" based logon script GPO APPLIED TO A
COMPUTER OBJECT OU (in loopback mode).

  This second GPO maps drives only on "special computers".  We will call
this GPO#2.  Both of these two GPO's work fine with XP clients.

Net result = one set of mapped drives for Users, and a second set of
additional mapped drives for special Computers.

I've tried both launchapp versions below:

LaunchApp2.wsf

New Info:
http://www.enterprisedev.org//blogs/michael/archive/2007/01/05/deploying
-group-policy-using-vista.aspx