[gptalk] Re: Vista and Phantom files

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:28:59 +1000

Hi Darren,

Nope.. its not a file lock. the problem occurs across a reboot.

But I have found out half of the problem! It is file shadowing. I checked
out the properties of the file and noticed a new TAB in VISTA called shadow
copies. I looked at it and there are 7 versions of the file (see attached
Shadows.jpg), one of which was the phantom that I was seeing. (dated
8/20/2008, 11:28 am)

I mentioned yesterday that I renamed the phantom from within my program. I
now have the situation that the renamed file (gpsvcaaa.log) is visible from
within my program, but not from Explorer (see attached Compare.jpg)

So, now I just have to find out why it sometimes looks at the phantoms
rather than the real file. and then how to force my program to do it

I have posted a query on a Vista forum. Will respond here if I get a

Alan Cuthbertson