[gptalk] Vista and Phantom files

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:26:51 +1000

Hi Vista experts

This is not really a Group Policy Query, but I am too embarrassed to ask
elsewhere.

I have a VB6 program that formats the UserEnv log. It works perfectly well
on XP, but on Vista it keeps finding an old version of the log. It is as if
Vista is showing me my own personal copy of the file, rather than the real
one.

The program has a browse button which allows me to explore to the
windows\debug\usermode  directory. I can see all of the files there. When I
open an explorer window, I see exactly the same file names except that the
gpsvc.log file shown within the program is an old version with an old date
and size. It corresponds to the file as it was when I last opened it with my
program.. If I rename the file from within my program, the correct file
suddenly appears.

I am presuming this is some feature of Vista. Does anyone know how to turn
it off..

Alan Cuthbertson

"IMPORTANT NOTICE: The information in this email

(and any attachments hereto) is confidential and may be

protected by legal privileges and work product immunities.

If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use or

disseminate the information. Receipt by anyone other than the

intended recipient is not a waiver of any attorney-client or work

product privilege. If you have received this email in error, please

immediately notify me by "Reply" command and permanently

delete the original and any copies or printouts thereof. Although

this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus

or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it

is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to

insure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by

Transatlantic Reinsurance Company or its subsidiaries or affiliates

either jointly or severally, for any loss or damage arising in any way

from its use."