[gptalk] Re: Vista: Forcing old-style My Documents

  • From: "James F. Prudente" <jprudente@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:26:42 -0500

Hi Omar,

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Yes, "My Documents" is redirected via GPO. That works fine.

On XP, the desktop had a "My Documents" icon which brought the user
directly to their files and folders. The Vista desktop has a folder
(with the user's name) that I guess points to their profile directory.
Under that, there is then a "Documents" folder and what I guess is a
junction point for links to the old "My Documents." IMO, it's a bit of a
mess. I've spent the last few years beating it into my users that they
have to save to "My Documents" and nowhere else; change in this case is
not a good thing.

I've come across a few links to a registry entry that will bring back
the old "My Documents" folder, but it doesn't seem to work. I may just
have to script adding a shortcut, but it seems like there should be a
cleaner way of doing things.

Thanks,
James