[gptalk] Re: User policy on a VMWare instance

  • From: "Jonathan Finkbiner" <JFinkbiner@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:46:24 -0400

One issue I have had managing VMware devices on my developers'
computers, is that they enable the firewalls prior to joining the
domain. The Windows Sp2 firewall prevented ping on my 2003 domain which
caused UserEnv errors (as Alan mentioned). I believe if you are running
a 2003 domain with Xp machines ping is the primary vehicle used to get
computers to process GPO. Can you ping the individual VMware GuestOS's?

Also, how is the network setup for the VMware Guest OS's? Are the
players using a bridged mode? Or are they sharing the internet
connection with the host operating system? If the ip address of the
GuestOS is the same as the host device it may cause a conflict.

Jonathan Finkbiner