[gptalk] User GPO is changing the registry, but setting is not applied

  • From: "Clemson, Chris \(IHG\)" <Chris.Clemson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:30:48 +0100

Hello everyone,
I found this list after doing a web search on GPO troubleshooting.
Apologies if this has been asked before - I did search in the archives,
but couldn't find anything relevant.

I have a problem with a custom ADM I have made.
Basically I created it to force Outlook 2003 to select a GC local to a
site, instead of the GC in the (different) site where the user's mailbox
is stored.
The setting itself works, as if i apply the following .reg file to my
machine then it outlook connects to this server every time:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Exchange Provider]
"DS Server"="xxx.yyy.corp.local"

When I try and do this via a policy (which my machine downloads without
a problem), it just ignores the setting and outlook uses it's normal
process for selecting a GC.

The exported (applied) setting from my machine's registry is as follows:

"DS Server"="xxx.yyy.corp.local"

I have rebooted serveral times since I applied this policy, what am i
doing wrong?
Using the Group Policy Results under GPMC against my machine shows this
setting applied under "Extra Registry Settings".
I guess I needn't use the "Policies" section, but I don't like the idea
of the "tattooing" effect this will have - I had enough grief with that
effect under NT4!

Does anyone have an idea on why this is happening?
Thank you,