[gptalk] Re: Understanding GP Processing

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:20:59 +1000

Hi John,

On the first question of reprocessing policies, there are two parts to Group
Policy processing. The first involves finding out what policies need to be
processed, the second is the actual work of applying the policies. The first
part always occurs. This involves:-

            1. Identifying all of the policies connected to the user's OU"s

            2. Identifying Filtering via security

            3. Processing any WMI filtering

This then gives a list of Policies that should be applied, plus the order
they will be applied.

It then goes through each CSE and processes these policies. i.e. Registry
Processing will decide whether the list of Policies (or their contents) has
changed and whether the "Process even if the Group Policy Objects have not
changed" Policy is set. If there has been no change to the list (or
contents) of policies and "Process even if the Group Policy Objects have not
changed" hasn't been set, it will not actually apply the Registry settings.
Note: There is a different policy setting for each Component of Group
Policy.

So, you can see there will always be some processing of policies, but less
if there is no change to the list of policies applied.

If you are concerned about the overhead of policy processing, I think you
should extend the policy refresh time which defaults to around 90 minutes. I
consider this a relatively short time. If you extend it to 12 hours, the
advantage is that Group Policy processing will occur at logon and then at 12
hour intervals thereafter. So a user will have at most one GP processing
cycle per working day. The downside is that if you change a policy, it will
take up to 12 hours for logged on users to get the change. Generally this is
quite acceptable since Group Policy changes would normally not be an
emergency change and would normally be done overnight.

I also have concerns about not setting the "Process even if the Group Policy
Objects have not changed" policy, especially if you have local admins on the
workstations. If they inadvertently (or deliberately) override a policy
setting, it will stay wrong until the list of policies being applied (or
their contents) change. I would prefer to wear the hit of reapplying
Registry policies every time than have the situation that you can not
guarantee that policies are in place. The additional overhead can be offset
by increasing the reprocess time to 12 hours.

I am not sure if you have seen my free software on the net for looking at
the UserEnv log. http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml>
&f=pol_summary.shtml It makes it more intelligible by splitting the log into
its constituent parts and highlighting the time taken for each component.
You can check this out on your machines to see the time taken to actually
apply the Registry settings. You will normally find this is small compared
to the total time.

On the second question, I am not sure what you mean by a System restart. If
you reboot the client, machine Group policy reoccurs. When the user logs on,
User policy processing occurs. If you are talking about rebooting a server,
this has no effect on Group Policy Processing on client workstations.

On the third question... What is the next message that pops up in the
UserEnv Log? ! Think it relates to resolving which OU the user belongs to.
This obviously requires talking to a Domain controller which requires full
network connectivity established. It may be worth doing a GPUPDATE when the
user is fully logged on and see whether it is faster second time around.

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software:-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml>