[gptalk] Re: USB storage block problem.

  • From: "Ananth Rajagopal" <ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 08:57:59 +0530

Hi,

yesterday I tried out the script and it was working fine, we deployed it by
evening and today morning, we got an error message in all the systems, the
error message is attached.

I had applied the script in User Configuration, as most of the users do not
shut down their systems, we wanted the script to be applied while users
logon, instead of when at system start.

Kindly advice.

best regards
Anth.

On 4/18/07, Linux'o Mania <linuxomania@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Okay....

First you put this vbscript in *Computer Configuration > Windows Settings
> Scripts > Startup* section.
Now when you restart the computers, it will do the following....

   - Will set the USBSTOR key's startup value to 4 (original is 3).
   This will not let the USB Mass Storage devices start.
   - Will deny anyone's access from usb.inf, usb.pnf files. This will
   deny any newer devices from getting detected....

Please test & share results...

Regds,
LP

*Ananth Rajagopal <ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxx>* wrote:

What happens with our old script is that, when users plug in a new usb
device the device gets accepted! I'll test the script you have send and will
let you know as soon as possible, how it fares.

thanks for the help!

On 4/18/07, Ananth Rajagopal <ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can you explain a bit more detailed, we already have a bat file running
> as logon script, where do I putt his script, run from the bat file or
> separately at Computer Startup event? if so can u guide me step by step.
>
> thanks for the reply!
> regards
> Anth.
>
> On 4/18/07, Linux'o Mania < linuxomania@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Use this script in GPO's Computer Startup event....

> > Dim WshShell,Retvalue
> > Set WshShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

WshShell.RegWrite"HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR\Start",4,"REG_DWORD"

today<http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html>.

.