[gptalk] Re: Trusted sites addition not showing in IE

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie R" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:23:26 -0600

You can apply Zone Security one of two ways.

1) the old way --> Using IE Maintenance Policy under User Configuration
> Windows Settings > Internet Explorer Maintenance. Works but is very
problematic. Still required for things like setting the home page,
favorites, etc.

2) the new way (since XP SP2) --> Using the ADM template settings for IE
under Computer/User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows
Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel > Security Page.
This method is preferred as it is much easier to maintain and more
reliable. Gives you much more flexibility also because the settings are
more granular and can be applied at the machine level instead of just to
a user account. Doing zone security this way is nice also, because your
zone URL lists are merged together instead of one list replacing the
other. You can find a nice overview of the settings here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457144.aspx.

If you have some policies using method #1 and some using method #2 you
are going to see a lot of issues. I would personally scrap any GPOs
using method #1 and convert everything over to the newer ADM template
settings. Additionally I recommend enforcing the "Security Zones: Use
only machine settings" policy and only configure zone security on the
computer side for uniformity throughout your organization, unless of
course you need the flexibility of users having different zone settings.

Jamie Nelson | Systems Engineer | Systems Support, Information
Technology | I N T E G R I S Health | Phone 405.552.0903 |
http://www.integrisok.com