[gptalk] Temporarily running without a GC ...how to prepare for it.

  • From: "Mills, Mark" <Mark.Mills@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:38:56 -0500

Just curious, I just read the following article:

How to disable the requirement that a global catalog server be available
to validate user logons

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241789  I've been told this method is
called running with Universal Group caching and works best with sites of
less than 100 users.

Does this mean that if for some reason your GC goes down (or maybe just
the link to them) your users can continue to work as normal, providing
that their Outlook is in "Exchange Cached Mode" or do you still need to
make sure that the Group Policy for cached logons is greater than the
default "10" in a pc's local security policy?

That default "10" cached logon is found at Computer Configuration ->
Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security
Options ->Interactive Logons

So if I had to run without a GC (temporarily) and users were using
Universal Group Caching , and the users had their Outlook set to run in
"Exchange Cache Mode"  would the downed GC have any effect on them?

I'm always trying to stay abreast of what I would do if the unthinkable
happens.  I have multiple GC's in each site so this should never be a
problem - however if it did happen, I would like to know what to do to
keep the users up and running (without down time) while I would be
repairing the GC's (or link to them)

Mark Mills