[gptalk] Stopping Vista Firewall Service not working

  • From: "Kopenski, Jack" <Jack.Kopenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:31:20 -0400

I have created a simple GPO using group policy preferences to stop the
Windows XP firewall service (SharedAccess) and to stop the Vista
firewall service (MpsSvc).  I configured:  Computer Configuration >
Preferences > Control Panel Settings > Services.

I created an entry for service "MpsSvc" with the Action to stop the
service, Startup as No Change, and Account Logon as No Change.
I created a second entry for service "SharedAcess" with the same
settings.

The GPO works fine for XP machines, but I see no change for Vista.  The
RSOP shows the GPO was applied as does the Group Policy event log.  I
have tried to run this with an Account Logon of Local System, but that
made no difference.  I  suspect it is a Vista UAC issue, so does anyone
see anything I missed?

Jack
addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it
to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and
then destroy it.