[gptalk] Software installation - assigned to user - errors

  • From: "Washington, Booker" <Booker.Washington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:40:38 -0500

I think I am missing something basic (maybe it is the end of the day for
me)

So I need someone to look this over....to see why I am getting these
errors (I have been looking at this too long today)

I setup a network share (Software$) that has the Share permissions of
Everyone Full Control.  On that share I have the NTFS permissions setup
for Authenticated Users - Modify

Under that main shared folder, I have my Application folder (Landesk
Silent Agent), wherein the NTFS permissions are inherited, thus
Authenticated users - Modify

The software install policies are set as follows: (Screen copy of GPO
settings below)

So this is an assigned application for the user, and when the user logs
on, I check the Application log, and I get the following messages in
order:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1085
Date:  2/27/2007
Time:  6:25:43 PM
User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: Computer 1
The Group Policy client-side extension Software Installation failed to
execute. Please look for any errors reported earlier by that extension.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Management
Event Category: None
Event ID: 108
Date:  2/27/2007
Time:  6:25:43 PM
User:  DomainTest\bwa1
Computer: Computer 1
Failed to apply changes to software installation settings.  Software
changes could not be applied.  A previous log entry with details should
exist.  The error was : Access is denied.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Management
Event Category: None
Event ID: 103
Date:  2/27/2007
Time:  6:25:43 PM
User:  Domaintest\bwa1
Computer: Computer 1
The removal of the assignment of application LanDesk Silent Install user
assignment package from policy LanDesk Client Computer install package
failed.  The error was : The system cannot find the file specified.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Management
Event Category: None
Event ID: 101
Date:  2/27/2007
Time:  6:25:43 PM
User:  MGT\bwa1
Computer: Computer 1
The assignment of application LanDesk Silent Install user assignment
package from policy LanDesk Client Computer install package failed.  The
error was : Access is denied.

***********GPO SETTINGS******************** BELOW

LanDesk Client Computer install package
Data collected on: 2/27/2007 6:29:18 PM
General
Details
Domain   domaintest.com
Owner    DOMAINTEST\domain admins
Created  2/27/2007 3:56:42 PM
Modified         2/27/2007 5:54:56 PM
User Revisions   6 (AD), 6 (sysvol)
Computer Revisions       11 (AD), 11 (sysvol)
Unique ID        {5B38A6CB-5770-4DCC-9F7C-392D750E8016}
GPO Status       Enabled
Links
Location         Enforced        Link Status     Path
OU1      No      Enabled         mgt.gt.buzz/Groups/IT-Group
OU2      No      Enabled         mgt.gt.buzz/People/1 - Mike's Vista
Test

This list only includes links in the domain of the GPO.
Security Filteringhide <about:blank#>
The settings in this GPO can only apply to the following groups, users,
and computers:
Name
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
WMI Filteringhide <about:blank#>
WMI Filter Name  None
Description      Not applicable
Delegation
These groups and users have the specified permission for this GPO
Name     Allowed Permissions     Inherited
DomainReal\Enterprise Admins     Edit settings, delete, modify security
No
DomainTest\domain admins         Edit settings, delete, modify security
No
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users         Read (from Security Filtering)
No
NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS       Read    No
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM      Edit settings, delete, modify security  No
Computer Configuration (Enabled)hide <about:blank#>
Administrative Templateshide <about:blank#>
Windows Components/Windows Installerhide <about:blank#>
Policy   Setting
Always install with elevated privileges <javascript:void();>     Enabled

This setting must be set for the machine and the user to be enforced.
User Configuration (Enabled)hide <about:blank#>
Software Settingshide <about:blank#>
Assigned Applicationshide <about:blank#>
LanDesk Silent Install user assignment packagehide <about:blank#>
Product Informationhide <about:blank#>
Name     LanDesk Silent Install user assignment package
Version  1.0
Language
Platform         Intel
Support URL      http://www.microsoft.com/management
Deployment Informationhide <about:blank#>
General  Setting
Deployment type  Assigned
Deployment source        \\servername\software$\Landesk
<file://\\servername\software$\Landesk>  Silent Agent\Domain-Security
Scanning Agent.msi
Installation user interface options      Maximum
Uninstall this application when it falls out of the scope of management
Disabled
Do not display this package in the Add/Remove Programs control panel
Disabled
Install this application at logon        Enabled

Advanced Deployment Options      Setting
Ignore language when deploying this package      Disabled
Make this 32-bit X86 application available to Win64 machines     Enabled

Include OLE class and product information        Enabled

Diagnostic Information   Setting
Product code     {543898a6-ef9c-4ab6-83fd-5277bc248987}
Deployment Count         0
Securityhide <about:blank#>
Permissions
Type     Name    Permission      Inherited
Allow    MGT\domain admins       Full control    No
Allow    NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users        Read    No
Allow    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM     Full control    No
Allow    Domaintest\domain admins        Read, Write     Yes
Allow    DomainReal\Enterprise Admins    Read, Write     Yes
Allow    NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS      Read    Yes
Allow    NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users        Read    Yes
Allow    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM     Read, Write     Yes
Allow    CREATOR OWNER   Read, Write     Yes
Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate to this
object and all child objects     Enabled
Advancedhide <about:blank#>
Upgrades         Setting
Required upgrade for existing packages   Disabled
Packages that this package will upgrade  GPO
None
Packages in the current GPO that will upgrade this package       None

Categories
None

Transforms
None