[gptalk] Setting up roaming data, Group Policy and Active Directory, Server 2003 and Wind xp, IE 7, Office 2007

  • From: "Matthew Bilsky" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 14:50:40 -0400

I am trying to setup a mix between roaming profiles and folder redirection.
I currently have the desktop, application data, and my docs all redirected
to seperate folders for each user under a root dir on the server.

I want it so that if a user forgets to log off, they can still log into
another computer, or the terminal server, and have their same internet
explorer, outlook and other program interfaces (bookmarks and saved
passwords transfer, pop3 email accounts, ect.)

I though of roaming profiles, which would do this, but i don't want the
start menu to roam, since each computer has different software installed, in
addition to the basic office and internet exploroer.

I downloaded the office 2007 adm files, and told it to place the pst and ost
files in the shared application data folder rather than the local one, but
that setting doesn't seem to work.

I have tried the simulation thing in the manager, but no matter how many
times i restart the server and run gpupdate and gpupdate /force on both the
server and the computers, and restart them,  i never can seem to get all of
the settings to work.

How can i do this best, meeting as many criteria as possible.

If there is anyone who knows of a company that does consulting for something
like this, that would be great too.