[gptalk] Re: Setting up GPP in a 2003 Environment

  • From: "Andrew McHale" <Andrew.McHale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:31:48 +0100

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the swift and accurate reply!

I'm glad I asked the question about identifying if CSE's are installed.
When I couldn't find it in the registry it made me dig a little deeper
on my WSUS server to see that the update for XP is actually showing as
"Not Applicable" rather than "Installed" (why those two values shown as
a single result I will never know).

I found this post
(http://www.wsus.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=11994&view=findpost&p=4
1999) on the wsus.info forum stating that the XP CSE update is not
recognised as needed on XP machines running SP3! The issue is due to be
ironed out in an update due for release in August.

For those that understand it, Microsoft's response to this issue was:

"We are aware that our CSE package is not offered to SP3 yet. WU does
not have a way to target SP3 versions that have GP yet. Since our
package should only be offered to OS versions that have GP, we were not
able to target them. The required targeting should be available by the
next WU release and our CSE will then be offered to SP3."
"We plan to release the CSE package for SP3 in the August non-critical
WU (4th Tuesday) release which, I believe is the 24th."

Looks like I'm going to have to roll-out the update via that script
Jakob wrote. Don't you just love the irony!

I'll be back with more GPP questions once I progress further with this!

Thanks to all for the help

Andrew