[gptalk] Re: Setting TLS/SSL for IE7 using GPP

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:51:05 +1100

Hi John,

When I was testing GPP I found quite a few bugs in the IE7 component,
especially when I was enabling/disabling subcomponents. Often it would
"forget" which setting was disabled, sometimes the component changed a
different component. Sometimes the edit session would just crash.

Having said that, I have just tried to duplicate what I think you were doing
and it seemed to work OK.  I set the required settings in GPP (attached
gp1.jpg) which I assume you were applying, applied the policy, checked IE7
settings (IE1.jpg) and they seemed correct. I then reversed the policy
(GP2.jpg) and IE7 settings reversed (IE2.jpg).

I have recently upgraded my Policy log Reporting tool (see below) which is a
free utility for formatting the Trace log created by Group Policy
processing. It also now formats the trace logs created from GPP. So you may
like to download it and see what the trace log says. It may indicate what is
going wrong, although in my case it just said "everything worked fine". You
may like to also send me the actual Preference XML file and I can look at it
and see if there is anything strange. It sits under \\server\SYSVOL\domain
name\Policies\GUID\User\Preferences\InternetSettings. Feel free to email me
offline.

Ps. I also found it very "non intuitive" how you enable and disable sub
components of preferences. Why isn't it available as a right mouse click?
And you have to be smart enough to read the help file to learn that the
PF-Keys actually exist. And if you hit the wrong PF key, they all go green
or red and there is no "undo".. Maybe I should read more of the help file to
find if there is another PF key to undo the last PF Key...... I feel better
after getting that of my chest..

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software (Now with ADMX and Preference support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml>
&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor(Now with ADMX support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml>
&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter(Free)