[gptalk] Re: Set application to run at login via scheduled task

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:55:30 -0500

Well running it as a logon script won't necessarily hold up the logon
process unless the script is written so that it waits for termination of
the child process.

Don't know how well-versed you are in VBScript, but if you did something
like this it wouldn't be any different than running it as a scheduled
task.

'// Code Start
'--------------------

Dim objShell : Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Dim strCmd : strCmd =
objShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%ProgramFiles%\Program\Program.exe")

'Enclose the command to be executed in double quotes to account for
spaces
strCmd = Chr(34) & strCmd & Chr(34)

objShell.Run strCmd, 0, False

Set objShell = Nothing

'// Code End

The "False" argument in the objShell.Run command is telling the script
that it doesn't need to wait for the command to finish before
continuing. This is the default behavior if you don't pass that
argument. Sometimes you want it to be "True" to capture the error code
after the process runs, but in your case you shouldn't care.

Regards,

Jamie Nelson | Infrastructure Consultant | BI&T Operations | Devon
Energy | Work: 405.552.8054 | http://www.dvn.com