[gptalk] Set application to run at login via scheduled task

  • From: "WATSON, BEN" <bwatson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:37:18 -0700

As part of a push to improve security with our laptop users, we are
testing a deployment of EFS Assistant.  This application encrypts
various locations of a user's hard drive and profile and is configured
via group policy.

I already have the policy set via group policy, and a WMI filter set so
only laptop users will be able to read and apply the policy.

The problem I am having now is that the application should be run every
time a user logs in.

I think it would be best if I could configure the application to run at
user login via scheduled tasks, but I don't believe that's possible.
Maybe someone could correct me on that one?

I could add the application as a logon or logoff script, but according
to the documentation, that is not recommended as the encryption process
could take a considerable amount of time depending on the amount of data
the user stores locally.

We are running a Windows 2003 R2 domain.  So any new group policy
functionality from a Windows 2008 domain is not an option.

Thanks,
~Ben