[gptalk] Scheduled Task Quit Running

  • From: "Tim Bolton" <jsclmedave@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:19:40 -0500

Jobs have been failing at random times for over three months. To get them
re-started the Admin person would re-set the password in the scheduled task.
After that the job would run for awhile then suddenly stop.

The Advance - Log files showed -

"Upload3.job" (Upload.vbs) 10/21/2008 11:25:00 AM ** ERROR **
The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
therefore, the task did not run.
The specific error is:
0x80070569: Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon
type at this computer. Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are
valid and try again.


I created a Domain Admin account and created a duplicate job to be run every
30 min's the same as the original.

I made sure that the Domain Admins were part of the Local Admin Account.

Turned on Auditing for failed log on attempts.

Same issue... It would run through out the day then just stop during the
later hours. Same entry in the Advance - Log files.

There was nothing ominous in the event logs that showed an error, warning or
failed logon attempt.

I verified that the Domain Admin account was able to logon 24/7 and was not
restricted to a specific server or PC.

I also set up a couple of test jobs to run every 5 minutes that were running
-

@echo off echo %date% %time% >> c:\SChedTest.log

AND

netstat -ano >> C:\Netstat.txt

I did this in an attempt to narrow down the "when" so that I could go
through the event logs easier and I would see if perhaps another server had
lost a connection etc.

After another failed run I noticed that just before the error there was the
entry "Security policy in the Group policy objects has been applied
successfully".

The first thing that came to mind was "Log on as a batch job". So I looked
in the Local Security Settings and noticed that the Add button for Log on as
a batch job was grayed out, indicating that it was being set via GP at a
higher level.

I found the GP linked to this server and found the list of accounts that had
been added in -

Computer Configuration - Windows Setting - Security Settings - Local
Policies - User Rights Assignment - Log on as a batch job

I added the Domain Admin account to the list. I ran gpupdate /force on the
server, and the Tasks started and have been running ever since...

This was also verified by Darren (Thanks Darren!)

-- 

Tim Bolton

Other related posts: