[gptalk] Re: Safe way to change local admin password?

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie R" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:32:00 -0600

I do this all the time with a computer startup script. It is a
reasonably secure way to do it in mass if you take a few precautions.
Such as...

1.       Encode the VBScript file so that the password is not in clear
text. Although VBScript encoding is easily reversed it will deter most
users if they happen to stumble upon it.

2.       To prevent the likelihood of unauthorized viewing, limit read
permissions on the GPO's scripts folder in SYSVOL to Domain Computers so
that nosy users can't easily browse to the script and view/decode the
script source.

Jamie Nelson | Systems Engineer | Systems Support, Information
Technology | I N T E G R I S Health | Phone 405.552.0903 | Fax
405.553.5687 | http://www.integrisok.com <http://www.integrisok.com/>