[gptalk] Re: Safe way to change local admin password?

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie R" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 14:36:54 -0600

You could get really creative here using a scheduled task I think.  Have
the scheduled task set to run every minute or so, but enable the "only
start the task if the computer has been idle for at least xx minutes"
checkbox and set that to 120 (2 hours).

Have the task actually run the following command:

     shutdown -l -f -t 00

I would definitely test this out before you try to implement, but it
should work in theory. Even if there is no user logged on and the system
has been idle for 2 hours I wouldn't think it would cause any problems.
The task may run unnecessarily but that's probably a small price pay if
it actually does what you want it to. And you could actually get around
that aspect too by having a script check if there is a logged on user
before executing the command.

The only issue would be distributing the task to all of your systems. If
you have PolicyMaker (or wait for Server 2008 Group Policy Preferences)
you can do this pretty easily within a GPO. Otherwise you would have to
script out the creation of the task itself, which can be tricky
sometimes.

Jamie Nelson | Systems Engineer | Systems Support, Information
Technology | I N T E G R I S Health | Phone 405.552.0903 | Fax
405.553.5687 | http://www.integrisok.com <http://www.integrisok.com/>