[gptalk] Re: Running a Batch file at user logon.

  • From: "Jakob H. Heidelberg" <jakob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:19:08 +0100

Hi again Ananth,

As stated before it would, in most cases, be better to add the route once
and for all on the clients default gateway. But, you probably have your
reasons J

I think there are some basic things about GP processing and filtering you
should take a look at. Maybe this blog will help you:

Earlier you told me you want to "hit" all systems in the domain - in that
case all you have to do is:

1.       Have the script file in a shared directory where Authenticated User
or Domain Computers have Read access

2.       Create the GPO and point the Startup script to the shared script
file (Computer Configuration part on the GPO)

3.       Link the GPO to the Domain Level (you don't have to change
Permissions or anything in this case)

4.       Reboot all machines for the script to be executed (could take 2

However - I must warn you a bit: this will execute the script during the
next startup (or two) on ALL domain computers (including servers).

Note to #3: If all of your computers are in the "My Computers OU" you could
just link the GPO here (except computers in the Domain Controllers OU would
not be hit - if they should be hit too you could link the policy to that OU
too  and restart them one after the other perhaps).

If this doesn't execute on the clients you must start troubleshooting. Look
in the client eventlog to spot for any errors, use GPRESULT to be sure the
GPO applies to the computers etc. However, I do expect this to work.